International Student Admissions
Applicants who are not a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee, or political asylee please follow these steps to apply:
Determine if Alexandria Technical & Community College offers a program of interest. The college offers mainly Associate degrees that typically take full-time students two years to complete. International students are NOT eligible for ATCC degrees that are offered online. ATCC does not offer Bachelor's degrees or Master's degrees at the graduate level.
- Fall Semester: May 1
- Spring Semester: October 1
- Complete the international student application (person intending to enroll MUST complete the application themselves)
- Pay the $20 application fee (in US Funds)
- Copy of passport
- Submit your official secondary school transcript/grade report and your international university transcripts if applicable
- If the language of the records is not English, a certified translation must be included with the official transcript. Certified/official attested photocopies may be accepted if original, official transcripts are not attainable. Evaluation for transfer may be requested through World Education Services and then submitted to the college. Please request the evaluation by course-by-course and include GPA and course levels. Uncertified photocopies of transcripts are not accepted.
- Provide proof of English proficiency
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) A minimum score of 500 on the written exam or 61 on the iBT exam is required
- IELTS (International English Assessment Battery) A minimum score of 5.5 is required
- Provide financial documentation
- prove you have a minimum of US $20,000 available to support your education for the first year
- provide originals, photocopies, scanned copies or faxed documents printed on bank letterhead and certified with the bank’s stamp or seal; we reserve the right to verify authenticity
- must be dated within six months of the application date
- if financial support will be provided by anyone other than yourself, the sponsor must submit a letter in English indicating his/her willingness to support you as well as an affidavit of support
- if English is not the language in which the bank documents are issued, the bank documents must be accompanied by a certified, literal English translation
- Payment of SEVIS I-901 Fee
- The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires the collection of a fee to be paid by aliens seeking status as F1 or M1 nonimmigrant students. The fee regulations give students several options to pay by mail or credit card via the internet. For more information, visit www.fmjfee.com
Additional Requirements Upon Arrival At College
- Attend a mandatory orientation session prior to the official start of the term (date to be determined)
- Complete the Accuplacer test, which is a course placement assessment
- Register for courses
- All international students are required to purchase the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) student accident and illness insurance plan unless they can provide written verification that their government or sponsoring agency accepts full responsibility for any medical claims that may occur. Enter Alexandria Tech College as the school/association name when completing the online forms for insurance. ATCC is not responsible for any bills due to illness or injury.
- Complete and return the ATCC international immunization form. Minnesota law requires that all students born after 1956 and enrolled in a post-secondary school must be immunized against diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, and rubella. You will also be required to complete a tuberculosis screening. An appointment will need to be made at a local clinic to receive the required immunizations and/or testing. If this is not completed by mid-semester the first term of enrollment, a hold will be placed on future registration.
- Locate housing as housing is not available on campus
- Students should be prepared to stay in a motel until securing an apartment. More information about housing is available on the web
Please keep in mind upon arrival in the United States
Most students arrive at Minneapolis/St Paul International Airport
- Alexandria is approximately 150 miles from the Minneapolis/St Paul airport
- Bus services are available from the airport
Students are responsible for providing their own:
- Housing (housing is NOT available on campus)
- Furnishings, clothing, personal items (bedding, towels, pots and pans)
NOTE: you will need heavy weight coats, scarves, gloves, and boots as winter temperatures can be as cold as -30° Fahrenheit/-34.4° Celsius. Snow can be at least 12 inches/30.48 cm deep.
If you are currently living in the United States, wish to transfer between colleges or have further questions, please contact the International Student Advisor at email@example.com.