4.3.3 Faculty Leave Policy
MnSCU's Faculty Leave Policy Interpretation
There has been some confusion on the proper use of faculty leave. For this reason, the following is a clarification of MnSCU's interpretation of policy associated with faculty leave.
- Sick and Personal Leave must be taken in half day increments
- Whether or not faculty are scheduled for classes during the leave time has no effect on whether leave must be used. It is assumed faculty use professional judgment when determining the proper use of leave.
- If a faculty member needs to leave campus because of illness, but later in the day overcomes the illness and engage in another meaningful professional faculty activity, they should go to their dean and explain the situation. Either a half or full day's leave adjustment can be made with administrative approval.
ATCC Procedure for Faculty Leave
In the event faculty must be out due to illness or emergency, the following procedure should be followed to make sure students are taken care of and that the college is aware of the situation.
- Check with faculty in your division ASAP to see if classes can be covered internally. Some programs are staffed in a way that this is possible.
- Keep a list of substitute names and phone numbers at home so you can reach someone the night before if necessary if your classes cannot be covered internally.
- Call Academic Affairs Administrative Assistant ASAP to report your absence. (If after hours leave a message on her phone mail). She will need to know if the class instruction will be covered internally, if you have found another sub, or if you were unable to find a sub. If it is determined there is no other alternative but to cancel a class, she will post signs to that effect. She will only attempt to line up a sub for you if it is an emergency situation. The canceled classes will be posted on the website so students can check from home if they are concerned about a cancelled class.
- If you are using D2L for any classes to be held the day of your absence, leave a message for your students regarding assignments, new deadlines, when they might expect you back if known, etc.
- Update your phone mail to announce you are out of the office and whether or not classes will be held as scheduled with an alternate instructor. (You can do this from home. Students can check your phone mail before leaving home.)
- Upon your return, complete a green Employee Leave Report form and submit it to Academic Affairs.
Weather Related Absence: In the event of bad weather whereby you cannot make it in, please follow the above procedure. You will be required to use a personal leave day or have a pay deduct if you determine you cannot make it to work because of weather unless the college is officially closed.
There is nothing more frustrating for students than to drive through less than perfect weather only to find your classes have been canceled.
Prearranged College Related Activities: Canceled classes should not be the norm for pre-arranged college related activities that take you off campus i.e., field trips, etc. Arrangements for class coverage should be in place when you submit a request to attend the activity off campus.
Approved by: ATCC Leadership Council
Effective Date: 3/16/06
Last Date Revised: 3/16/06