After I Apply
A common question is, "What happens after I apply?" Application for financial aid (completion of the FAFSA) is always the first step. Most students have applied for and have been accepted into a program at Alexandria Technical & Community College before they complete the FAFSA. Does it have to be in that order? No. But in order to receive financial aid, you have to be accepted into a program offered at ATCC. When we receive your FAFSA results from the Federal Central Processor, the first thing we do is to check and see what program you have been accepted into. If you have not yet been accepted into a program, you will receive a letter from us telling you that we are waiting to processing your application until we can determine what program you are accepted into. This will require action on your part. You should contact our admissions office and complete any required processes.
If you provided an e-mail address on your FAFSA, you will be notified when the Federal Central Processor receives and processes your FAFSA. At that time you can access the results by going on-line and viewing and/or printing your Student Aid Report (SAR) by using your PIN. It is important that you access your SAR and carefully review the information to make sure it is correct. If you do not provide an e-mail address, the SAR will be mailed to you.
Alexandria Technical & Community College will receive the results of your FAFSA only if you included the 005544 code on the FAFSA. Assuming that you have been accepted into a program, here is what will happen.
- A file will be started for you by the financial aid office.
- The financial aid office will send a tracking letter requesting any additional information needed to complete your file.
- If you do not respond to the first Tracking Letter, in approximately two weeks you will receive a second tracking letter.
- If you do not respond to the Second Tracking Letter, you will receive a Final Request giving you two weeks in which to respond. If you do not, your file will automatically go inactive in the financial aid office. Nothing further will be done until you contact the financial aid office.
- When the financial aid office has all the requested documents, we will verify the accuracy of the information upon which your awards will be determined.
- Your grants will be determined and an Initial Award Notification letter will be sent to you. Your Official Award Letter will provide estimated awards at various credit levels of enrollment at ATCC. It informs you the process for getting a Work-Study job and the process for getting Federal Direct Student loans.
- Each semester that you are enrolled, the financial aid office will apply to your account in the business office the proceeds of any grants or loans for which you are eligible. The proceeds will be applied after the drop/add period and will be based on the number of credits from your major for which you are enrolled. The college will subtract from those awards any tuition, fees, course fees, rent for lap top computers or anything else for which you have provided a written authorization. When the math is done, either the college will owe you or you will still owe the college. If the college owes you, the balance will be disbursed to you. If you owe the college, you should pay the balance immediately to avoid any late fees.
- Work-study earnings are paid through the payroll system every two weeks and are never applied to your account.
Remember that grants and loans are paid to you once per semester. You will not get weekly or monthly checks. You will need to BUDGET your overage funding to cover semester related college expenses.