International Student Admissions
Applicants who are not a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee, or political asylee please follow these steps to apply:
Determine if Alexandria Technical & Community College offers a program of interest. The college offers mainly Associate degrees that typically take full-time students two years to complete. ATCC does not offer Bachelor's degrees (which normally require four years to complete) or Master's degrees at the graduate level.
- Fall Semester: May 1
- Spring Semester: October 1
- To apply to ATCC, submit a completed International Student Application for Admission Form.
- Include the ATCC non-refundable U.S. $20.00 application fee with the application.
- Applicants already in the United States also need to provide:
- Photocopy of current visa
- Photocopy of passport
- Photocopy of both sides of I-94
- The minimum requirement is graduation from a secondary school or equivalent.
- Official copies of all educational transcripts and records.
- Applicants must send official transcripts and academic records directly to the ATCC Admissions Office from all secondary/high schools, colleges, universities, or technical/polytechnic schools attended or are currently attending. This includes record of examinations results and degrees or diplomas.
- If the language of the records is not English, a certified translation must be included with the official transcript. Certified/official attested photocopies may be accepted if original, official transcripts are not attainable. Evaluation for transfer may be requested through AACRAO, www.aacrao.org, and then submitted to the college. Uncertified photocopies of transcripts are not accepted.
- ACT and SAT scores are not required for admission to ATCC.
- All incoming students are required to take the Accuplacer test, which is a course placement assessment. The test is taken upon arrival to the college and must be completed before a student may register for courses.
If English is not the applicant's first language, the applicant must be able to demonstrate English proficiency within the last 2 years. Copies are not accepted. One of the following may be provided:
- TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language score. A minimum score of 500 on the written exam or 61 on the iBT exam is required. This requirement may be waived under specific circumstances (e.g. successful completion of a college level English composition course at an accredited U.S. college).
- IELTS – International English Assessment Battery. A minimum score of 5.5 is required.
- MELAB – Michigan English Language Assessment Battery. A minimum score of 75 is required.
Certification of Finances
International applicants must complete an ATCC International Student Financial Information Form that demonstrates they have adequate funding for all of the expenses that will be incurred during the proposed program of study. This form must be in English and include the required signatures and supporting bank statements, affidavits of support, or official letters.
Health Insurance Requirement
All international students are required to purchase the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) student accident and illness insurance plan unless they can provide written verification that their government or sponsoring agency accepts full responsibility for any medical claims that may occur. ATCC is not responsible for any bills due to illness or injury.
Complete and return the ATCC Immunization Form. Minnesota law requires that all students born after 1956 and enrolled in a post-secondary school must be immunized against diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, and rubella.
Payment of SEVIS (I-109) Fee
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires the collection of a fee to be paid by aliens seeking status as F-1, F-3, M-1, or M-3 nonimmigrant students. The fee regulations give students several options to pay by mail or credit card via the internet. For more information, visit www.fmjfee.com.
For further assistance, please contact the International Student Advisor at email@example.com.