Income Tax Preparation
FREE Tax Return Preparation for Low Income Taxpayers
Are you overwhelmed by the tax return process? Hate all those forms? Want all those credits everyone talks about? Free for all low income taxpayers. Let the ATCC Accounting students help you out.
We will also file returns for Renter's Credits or Property Tax Refunds!!
Returns are filed electronically to improve accuracy and speed up any refund you might have due. This free service is sponsored by the IRS, and is called Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA).
Do You Qualify?
You should have income less than $35,000 (or so) and not have any complex issues such as owning rental property, owning a business, multiple state income, or military income. Sorry, we would like to help our soldiers, but the returns get too complex.
Who Prepares the Return?
Alexandria Technical & Community College (ATCC) accounting students and other volunteers have been specially trained to help you with all the new credits, the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Dependant Care Credit, Rent Credit and the Minnesota property tax refund, if you qualify. Every return is quality checked and reviewed by instructors and supervisors.
Where and When?
DATES: Tuesday and Thursday from February 6 through April 10 except for Spring Break on March 11 and 13.
LOCATION: The VITA site is located in room 703 of the Office & Information Technology Center of Alexandria Technical & Community College (located on Jefferson Street closest to the recycling center).
TIME: 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. on a first-come, first-serve basis
Items you need to bring:
- Must bring photo identification
- Birth dates and social security information for you, your spouse, and dependents
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Last year’s return if possible
- Voided check with bank routing and account numbers
- Amount paid for day care and the providers Identifying number
- Certificate of rent or property tax statements
- Minnesota K-12 education costs, college tuition statements (1098-T)
- Charitable contribution receipts.
- College students bring receipts for supplies, books, and internet access.
If you just need tax help, come see us. We'll figure out what you need.