College can be an exciting and stressful time. Counseling services are available at Alexandria Technical & Community College to assist and support you. Making a choice to talk with a counselor means that you realize things are not going as well as you would like, and you are willing to share your concerns with a professional.
Some reasons you may seek counseling or suggest that a friend seek counseling:
- The demands of school, work, or home life become difficult to handle
- Life changes such as the transition to school, death of a loved one, or a relationship breakup
- Physical problems with no apparent medical cause
- Feeling unhappy, withdrawn, or loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Irritability or suspiciousness
- Concentration difficulty or having a hard time getting things done at school or work
- Sudden mood or behavior changes
- Uncertainty about identity or focus in life
- Substance use concerns
- Thoughts of hurting yourself or others
- Sexual assault, violence, or abuse
For assistance outside of business hours, you are welcome to leave a voicemail message or send an email at any time. Calls and emails will be answered the next business day.
If you feel you are in danger or in need of immediate assistance, do not wait to get help.
- Dial 911
- Go to the emergency room 320-762-1511
- Call 800-273-TALK (8255)
Counseling services are free and confidential. Take advantage of counseling services when and if needed.
Career counseling is a process of self assessment, as well as occupational and educational exploration. Career counseling can assist individuals who are considering a career change, still in high school, recent high school graduates, or have been out of school for many years. By taking the time to assess your interests, strengths, and skills, you can acquire the knowledge you need to make informed decisions regarding your vocational future. The Counseling and Testing Center has career exploration and development resources available to assist you.