5.20 Parking Policy
Minnesota Statute 136F.67 requires that colleges and universities charge parking fees to generate revenue for parking lot construction, improvements and maintenance, and parking enforcement.
Every vehicle parked on campus of Alexandria Technical and Community College must have a parking permit hanging from the rearview mirror, facing forward and visible from the front of the vehicle.
Vehicles displaying government plates will be exempt from the parking permit requirement.
The purchase of a parking permit does not guarantee availability of a parking space.
All persons operating motor vehicles on College property shall do so at their own risk. No responsibility or liability shall be assumed by ATCC for loss of property, damage to vehicle while parked, damage which may be incurred through the process of impounding the vehicle, or any other damage or loss of any kind sustained while on ATCC property.
Permits lost or stolen can be replaced for a $20.00 fee. Anyone caught with an illegal ATCC parking permit could:
- lose all parking privileges,
- be fined $100.00, and/or
- be turned over to authorities for prosecution.
The speed limit in the school parking lots is 15 mph. If violated, parking privileges could be revoked. Cars are parked legally when the entire vehicle is located within the striped boundaries of the parking space. The fact that other vehicles are parked improperly shall not constitute an excuse for parking any part of the vehicle over any line. Students pulling trailers are asked to park them in the west end of the west parking lot.
Parking is prohibited in areas specifically designated as visitor parking, delivery areas, services areas, "No Parking Zones," employee parking areas, fire lanes or zones, driveways, lawns, sidewalks, fence compounds and other posted areas. Students can use the 15-minute parking zones.
Each administrator, faculty, staff, student and any other person associated with the college must properly display a parking permit on their vehicle while parked on property under the control of the college. Parking will be enforced whenever classes are in session. Failure to display a parking permit will result in a fine and/or removal of the vehicle at the expense of the owner.
Exception to these Regulations:
- Vehicles with tax exempt plates
- Vehicles displaying visitor permit
- Repair and construction personnel
- Customized Training's not for credit classes
Permit Fees and Related Fines:
- Student permits for credit courses will cost $2.80/credit up to a maximum of 15 credits ($42.00) per semester.
- Fees will not be charged for online, clinical and internship credits when the student is not on campus in order to complete.
- The cost for administrators, faculty and staff shall be prorated depending upon the level of assignment
- 75% or Greater: $42.00/semester or $84.00/year
- 50-74.9%: $28.00/semester or $56.00 year
- Less than 50%: $15.75/semester or $31.50/year
- The fee will be charged to all employees unless the employee signs a parking use fee exemption request form at the business office.
The parking fee may be waived by completing the Parking Use Fee Exemption Request form from the Business Office. Students that have already obtained their permit will have to return their permit along with the waiver form.
Refunds for parking permits will be made if a student withdraws from the college according to policy 5.12 Refunds, Waivers, and Withdrawals.
Refunds will be made by turning in the parking permit with the withdrawal form.
- First offense will result in a warning indicating that any future offenses will result in a fine and booting or towing of the vehicle.
- Second offense will result in a $10.00 fine.
- Third offense will result in and additional $25.00 fine.
Obtaining a Permit
Students who have enrolled at ATCC for the first time will be able to obtain their permit after registration at the Student Technology Help Desk at the same time that they receive their student ID cards.
Previously enrolled students can receive their permits after registration by showing their student ID card. Permits can be obtained at the Student Technology Help Desk or at the Student ID Card Center set up during the first day of the semester.
Daily permits can be purchased for $1.00 a day if you already have a permit but happen to have forgotten it. Daily permits can be purchased in the Business Office or at the receptionist's desk and should be purchased as soon as you get to school. If you receive a parking ticket before you purchase your daily permit, you must pay the fine.
Students or employees who plan to drive and park their motorcycles on college property must first purchase a parking permit and then supply the parking lot monitor with the license number.
Visitor permits are available to any staff on the "Forms" page on Mission Control. Please fill out and print this form for your guest to display on their vehicle; being sure to include your name in the "Issued By" section of the permit. The guest permit will not be valid unless it has this section completed.
Approved by: ATCC Leadership Council
Effective Date: 10/07/13
Last Date Revised: 10/07/13