The Law Enforcement Skills program at Alexandria Technical & Community College is designed to give the prospective peace officer the hands-on skills training necessary to qualify for licensure in Minnesota and is a natural progression of the training received from academic studies. Instructors draw from years of practical law enforcement street experience and focus on developing skills which are tactically safe and realistic. The mission of the training is to expose students to the maximum amount of training possible in the practical aspects of law enforcement. This could very well be the most demanding portion of the law enforcement career preparation process.
Skills instruction is conducted at the Alexandria Technical & Community College Law Enforcement Training Center with the Defensive/Pursuit Driving portion held at the St. Cloud Safety Center. Applicants should be certified as an Emergency Medical Responder (formerly known as First Responder) prior to attendance.
For those students attending a MN POST approved Professional Peace Officer Educational (PPOE) program and have the approval of their PPOE Coordinator, ATCC has an open acceptance policy.
The Law Enforcement Skills program is a natural progression of the training received from academic studies. Instructors draw from years of practical law enforcement street experience to teach students new survival skills.
ATCC Skills Eligibility & Application Process
Students completing the ATCC Law Enforcement Associate in Applied Science degree meet the Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) requirements in their two year program and do not attend summer skills. This is the fastest way to obtain POST licensure if you do not already have a college degree.
Alexandria Skills – May 16-July 22, 2016
SCSU Skills – May 9-July 15, 2016
ATCC is a contract skills provider for the following Professional Peace Office Education (PPOE) programs.
Priority is given to contract colleges first
*Only SCSU students are eligible for skills at the SCSU campus.
If you are from a non-contract school, you may not be eligible to attend skills at ATCC.
Individual approval is required by the Dean of Law Enforcement.
- Approval from your coordinator must be received in writing by Scott Berger (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Non-contract students are placed on a waiting list and offered a spot on a space available basis
- Colleges contracting with other skills provider/providing their own skills
- Central Lakes Colleges
- Fond Du Lac Tribal & Community College
- Metro Area College Consortium
- Century Community & Technical College
- Hennepin Technical College
- Inver Hills Community College
- Minneapolis Community & Technical College
- Normandale Community College
- North Hennepin Community College
- Leech Lake Tribal College
- Metropolitan State University
- Minnesota West Technical & Community College
- Northeast Higher Education District (Hibbing & Vermillion Community Colleges)
- Northland Community & Technical College
- Rasmussen College
If you attended one of the following colleges, you would need to complete the Law Enforcement Career Transition diploma program to be eligible to attend summer skills and pursue POST licensure:
- Minnesota School of Business
- Minnesota State College - Southeast Technical
- Riverland Community College
- Rochester Community & Technical College
- University of Minnesota - Duluth
- University of Minnesota - Morris
- University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
- University of Wisconsin
- Any students who have a degree in another field of study from an accredited university