Concurrent Enrollment FAQs

What is Concurrent Enrollment?

  1. Concurrent enrollment is an opportunity for high school students to take college courses taught by high school teachers during their school day.

What is the difference between Post-Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) and Concurrent Enrollment?

  1. Concurrent enrollment courses are taught in the high school by high school teachers while PSEO courses are taught either on-campus or online by college faculty.

Are Concurrent Enrollment courses more difficult than regular high school courses?

  1. Yes! Students are expected to perform at the standards set by the college. College-level rigor is expected. As with most college courses, students can expect to spend two hours outside of class doing research and homework for every one hour spent in the classroom of a concurrent enrollment course.

Will credits transfer to other colleges?

  1. General education classes that are part of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum will be accepted at all Minnesota State institutions and potentially at private or out-of-state colleges. For a list of Minnesota State colleges, go to External Website: Minnesota State - Credits for technical courses may be accepted by other colleges.

What is the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum?

  1. The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum is a collaborative effort among all two-and four-year public colleges and universities in Minnesota to help students transfer their work in general education. Completion of a defined transfer curriculum at one Minnesota public institution enables a student to receive credit for a package of lower division general education upon admission to any other Minnesota public institution.

What is an Associate of Arts Degree (AA Degree)?

  1. By completing this degree, students will meet the standards of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. This also fulfills the lower division general education requirements at all state universities in Minnesota and at many of the private four-year colleges and universities. The AA degree is the equivalent of the first two years of a bachelor's degree.

What is the attendance policy?

  1. Students are expected to attend all classes and are responsible for following the teacher's as well as the college's policies on attendance. This information will be provided on the course syllabus. Student success expectations also appear in the ATCC Student Handbook available online at ATCC Student Handbook:

Are there consequences for dropping or withdrawing from a course?

  1. There are potential consequences, so if a change is being made, it is crucial that the student contact their high school guidance counselor to discuss academic progress and high school graduation requirements. The high school should contact the college to request a student be dropped or withdrawn. There are specific time frames for dropping and withdrawing from courses each semester. Please refer to ATCC's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

How can I obtain a transcript?

  1. Transferring to another college within the Minnesota State system does not require students to request a transcript. A transcript will automatically be available once you apply to another college within the system. To find which colleges are in the Minnesota State system, go to External Website: Minnesota State -

    To request a transcript be mailed to a college outside of the Minnesota State system, please check out the ATCC website at (Please keep in mind if credit is earned through more than one college and official transcripts are to be sent to a college outside of the system, transcript requests will need to be sent to each college the courses were taken from.)