4.4.1 Classes Taken at MnSCU Colleges
The procedure for this policy specifically addresses the professional development of ATCC support staff (classified and unclassified) regarding classes taken at Alexandria Technical and Community College or another MnSCU College.
Professional Development is defined in this policy statement as being continuing education for credit or clock hours.
This policy applies to all support staff (classified and unclassified) employed on a full-time or part-time unlimited or seasonal basis at the Alexandria Technical and Community College who have completed three (3) consecutive years of service at a technical college or the MnSCU system office.
Per AFSCME, MAPE and MMA contracts and the Commissioner's Plan, all technical college employees with three (3) years seniority shall be eligible for a tuition waiver for courses within the Minnesota State College system. Please see your respective contract for the number of credits allowed and language for the payment of special course and lab fees. Unless specifically specified in the contract, all course fees must be paid for out of pocket by the employee. The enrollment in courses is contingent upon space availability. A link to the Tuition Waiver Request Form is available on Mission Control.
Guidelines Specific to Taking Courses at Alexandria Technical and Community College
The Appointing Authority (President) at this college has the right to approve the payment for books purchased to complete credit courses at this college (dependents are not included). A Book Form must be completed at the ATCC Foundation Bookstore at the time the employee picks up his/her books. The employee's respective Professional Development Budget will be charged for this expense (not to exceed the professional development allotment – currently $100) upon prior approval. If books are sold at the completion of the course, all monies received need to be returned to the college's Business Office to be placed back into the Professional Development Budget. The employee's Bookstore account will be credited this same amount.
(Note: Permanent, general fund employees working 50% or greater receive the full professional development allocation of $100. The expectation is that all self-supporting or grant-funded positions use their own operational funds to pay for professional development.)
At the completion of the course (end of semester), a brief report should be submitted to the supervisor and college President describing what was learned and how it will benefit them in their job.
The employee will be liable for reimbursement of expenses paid for unsatisfactory completion of courses.
Procedure for Professional Development Approval
- Visit with immediate supervisor.
- Review ATCC Policy 4.4.1 Classes Taken at MnSCU Colleges.
- Complete the Professional Development Approval Form for Support Staff located in Mission Control, under "Forms" on the ATCC website.
Procedure for Classes Taken at a MnSCU College
- After the Professional Development Approval Form for Support Staff has been completed and signatures obtained, register for the course.
- If you are eligible, complete the Tuition Waiver form located in Mission Control, under "Forms" on the ATCC website.
- Obtain the books necessary for the class. (Respective professional development funds may be used to pay book costs up to the level allotted each year.)
- After completion of the class, sell the book at the "Used Book Buy Back" area (held at the end of the semester) and return the money to the Business Office to be placed back into your respective professional development budget. Your Bookstore account will be credited the same amount.
- Submit a copy of your transcript to the Human Resources Office to be placed in your respective personnel file.
- At the completion of the course (end of semester), a brief report should be submitted to your supervisor and to the College President describing what was learned and how it will benefit you in your job.
Approved by: ATCC Leadership Council
Effective Date: 8/03/11
Last Date Revised: 8/01/11