3.1.1 Annual Notice to Students "Know Your Rights"

Responsible Position

Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs


Minnesota State Board Policy

Minnesota State System Procedure

Minnesota Government Data Practices Act (MGDPA)
Family and Education Rights Privacy Act (FERPA)


Alexandria Technical and Community College maintains records about you in various places throughout the college. The college president is the official keeper of the records. Under federal and state law, you have certain rights concerning the records that the college maintains. This notice is to make you aware of those rights. Should you have questions concerning your rights, please contact the college Registrar.

Under the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act (MGDPA) and the Family and Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA), students have a right:

  • to inspect and review educational records maintained about you;
  • to request amendment to records about you for the purpose of correcting inaccurate or misleading records, or records which violate your privacy or other rights in some fashion;
  • to a hearing regarding records which you believe are inaccurate or misleading if the college does not amend the records at your request;
  • to place a written statement explaining your disagreement with the college in your records if the college does not amend records after the opportunity for a hearing about whether the records are inaccurate or misleading;
  • to consent to disclosures of information which identifies you personally, except to the extent that such disclosures are allowed without your consent under state and federal law;
    • Disclosures may be made to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic, or support staff position; a person or company with whom the college has contracted; a student serving on official college committees; a person serving on the Board of Trustees or in the System office; or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review and education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
    • If you are currently enrolled in or receiving services from one college or university within the Minnesota State Colleges and University System ("System"), your academic records from that institution are available to officials of other schools within the System while you are in attendance. If you seek or intend to enroll at another institution within the System, your academic records from other institutions are also accessible to officials at the school where you are seeking or intend to enroll. You have the right to request a copy of records that have been disclosed. You also have the right to request a hearing to correct any inaccurate, incomplete, or misleading information in those disclosed records. For further information about your rights, please contact the Registrar at the college or university that supplied the records.
    • Disclosures to parents will not be made without the student's prior written consent.
    • Transcripts may be sent to other colleges or institutions in which the student seeks or intends to enroll without the student's consent.
  • to file a complaint with the United States Department of Education if you believe the college is not meeting the requirements of the federal law.

Related ATCC Documents:


Approved by: Leadership Council

Effective Date: 2/3/2021

Next Review Date: February 2024