4.5.1 College Vehicle Policy

College vehicles are provided for administrative and program use in the pursuit of college-related business.

The following are the policies which require adherence to:

  1. If you need to attend a college-related activity, use of a college vehicle should be considered first. The mileage reimbursement rate for the use of your personal vehicle varies by union contract. There is one rate for use of your own vehicle in the event there is no college vehicle available. There is also a lesser rate if there is a college vehicle available but you still choose to use your own vehicle. Prior administrative approval is required in those cases.
  2. When driving State leased vehicles, refueling must be done at one of the gas stations listed in the folder located in the vehicle.
  3. Driving infractions resulting in tickets are the driver's responsibility.
  4. Seatbelts must be worn by all occupants of the vehicle at all times when the vehicle is in motion.
  5. Personal Use: The insurance covering the vehicle is not written to cover personal use. Only college employees and others with specific college related activities are allowed as passengers. This does not include spouses or family members.
  6. Discretion must be used in places you visit while using a government vehicle. Stops which you might make with your personal vehicle may well be off limits with a college vehicle. There is considerable public interest in checking up on the "whys" and "whereabouts" of government vehicles. The State Department has a policy that their vehicles must not be in locations which might make us suspect or invite question.

The following procedures are to be adhered to when using a college vehicle:

  1. You must complete a Request to Attend College-Related Activity form prior to your travel.
  2. Approval will be granted on first-come, first-served basis; however, generally if more than one needs the car on a given day, the one who will be traveling the greatest distance will have priority. The number of passengers is also a consideration.
  3. Employees who plan to use a college vehicle must make this request by booking a vehicle through the Outlook calendar. When using your personal vehicle, your name must be noted on the Outlook calendar under "personal car" in order to be reimbursed at the higher mileage rate if there are no college vehicles available. If all college vehicles are in use, priority will be given to those going on longer trips.
  4. Contact the Parking Lot Monitor/Vehicle Maintenance employee if you experienced any mechanical problems while using a college vehicle.
  5. The travel log in the vehicle is to be filled out for each trip. Note that the speedometer readings are to be posted at the beginning and conclusion of each trip. Gas and other vehicle related purchases are to be entered into the travel log.
  6. Non-state leased vehicles will be equipped with a fuel card so that fuel may be added at the District #206 fuel pumps located near the bus garage. One pump is for unleaded fuel and the other is for diesel fuel.
  7. The vehicles are insured with the State of Minnesota. In the event of an accident, treat the situation as if it was your own vehicle: get the name of the other driver(s), license number(s), location, time, etc.; report to local law enforcement authorities; and notify the Business Office.
Approved by: ATCC Leadership Council
Effective Date: 2/24/12
Last Date Revised: 2/22/12